Friday, August 7, 2020

Is Internetmonk aging out?

I, of course, don't see the stats but I do see the commenters; pretty much the same old same old. I think that is the natural trajectory of blogs. First, they're new and exciting but sooner or later the reasons for their existence, their narrative if you will, grows old. And the commenters become part of a recognisable but aging group. # So, is Internetmonk attracting the millenials? I kinda doubt it; here's why. # The millenials have no memory/experience of the fundamentalists. A lot of the commenters on I-monk are in their 70s and many times, reading their comments, they are confusing the old fundamentalists with modern Evangelicals. There is simply a huge difference. I doubt there are many millenials who have ever experienced a sermon that references the dangers of Hell. I will tell you, as one who continues to be a part of an Evangelical congregation; Hell simply is not a regular topic in Evangelical churches and hasn't been for at least 3 decades. # One of the aging commenters has been obsessed with Hal Lindsay's teaching from the 60's and 70's. He's also obsessed with Chuck Smith, long deceased. Millenials probably have no idea who these men are or what they are known for. He, quite mistakenly, thinks these men are still influential in Evangelical circles. They are not. He has set up a straw man for him to attack. It's been old for a long time. # Chaplain Mike and the boys are all aging also. My guess, all of them are at least 50. In case you haven't noticed, the Millenials have zero interest in the thinking of 50 year old Caucasian males. # My guess, as Imonk ages out and as we age, it becomes even less influential.

No comments:

Post a Comment